Friday, March 29, 2013

Something Delicious

Blueberry Muffins....as in breakfast food...

I made these and LOVED them. Doug liked them ok but thought they needed more sugar. I would agree if you are making muffins for snacks or treats or whatever. For a hearty breakfast carb to go with your eggs and bacon, however, I think these are great. The whole grains and such keep it from giving me my usual hypoglycemic sugar ride.

Anyway, here's the recipe- I decided to be a jerk and use decimals instead of fractions (no reason, I'm just in a persnickety mood:)

1.25 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour ( I used white whole wheat)
0.33 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder ( buy aluminum-free- alzheimer's is a bitch)
1 egg
0.25 cup melted butter (or coconut oil for the milk-free)
1 cup blueberries (I am trying some cranberries this time, though.. more sugar should balance them out.)

You can either soak the flour and oats in 1 cup of water with some lemon juice for a while (an hour, a day, whatever) or you can cut the baking powder by half and go straight to work.

Bake for 20 minutes at 425. Freeze or eat immediately- for some reason, soaked (in the refrigerator) recipes will go bad sitting on the counter after being baked. 





No comments:

Post a Comment